Jump to Navigation


Divorce Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale and Boca Raton

Protecting Your Interests in Child Relocation Proceedings

At the office of Alan R. Burton, Attorney at Law, I have worked closely with men and women in divorce matters for over 30 years. I have built and maintained my successful practice on a commitment to personal service, always working one-on-one with you to learn your goals and concerns, so that I can help you implement solutions that meet your needs. I place a high priority on communication, striving to make myself available when you need to talk with me.

I provide a free initial consultation to all clients. To schedule an appointment, contact my office or call me at 954-519-2314 (toll-free at 888-341-5223).

Experienced Florida Child Relocation Lawyer

In over 3 decades of practice, I have represented many custodial and non-custodial parents in cases involving requests to relocate. Under Florida law, in order for a custodial parent to move more than 50 miles away from the other parent, the court must grant permission for the move. This is accomplished by filing a supplemental petition to relocate with minor child or children. The court will then make a determination, based on a number of factors, including:

  • the reasons for the move—the court will want to make certain that the move is not for the purpose of limiting the other parent's access to the child. Permission may be granted to be close to other family or support, to address health concerns, to protect the child from harm, or to pursue educational or employment opportunities.
  • whether substitute visitation can be established—the court will want to promote a meaningful parent-child relationship for both parents.
  • prior visitation experience—the court will look at how much visitation was granted in the past and whether the non-custodial parent has taken advantage of visitation.
  • the payment of child support—the court may consider whether the non-custodial parent has met his or her child support obligations.
  • the relationship between each parent and the child
  • the preference of the child (if the child has reached a certain age)

Whether you are the custodial or non-custodial parent, I will handle all matters related to a relocation request, preparing and filing all documents required and acting as your advocate in all hearing or proceedings. If a move needs to take place in a fairly short period of time, I can help you expedite the process. If the relocation is approved, I will also help you seek modification of child custody, visitation and child support orders, if appropriate.

Contact My Office

To arrange a free initial consultation, contact me or call me at 954-519-2314 (toll-free at 888-341-5223). I offer flexible office hours for your convenience. I accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express.

Do you have a case?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Practice Areas

Privacy Policy | Law Firm Marketing by FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters business.