Changing Your Name After a Divorce

Alan R. Burton Attorney at Law

Divorce can involve many complicated legal filings and administrative tasks. One important task that should not be ignored is changing your name back to your maiden name if you wish to do so. While name changes have traditionally been associated with women, this is no longer the case since the legality of same-sex marriage and trends in recent years of combining last names or of husbands taking the last name of their wives.

Legally changing your name back can include many different steps, including the following:

  • Requesting an official name change in your divorce petition, so the final divorce decree includes a court order allowing you to change your name back;
  • If your divorce decree does not include a name change order, you will need to file a Florida Petition for a Name Change to get a court order by that method;
  • Collect the following documents in order to update your name on official documents:
  • Use the above documents to change your name on your social security card, driver’s license, passport, and any other necessary forms of identification.
  • Use your new documentation to change your name on bank accounts, credit accounts, with your employer for payroll, utilities, and any other relevant accounts.

Forgetting to request a name change order in your divorce petition does not mean you will not be able to change your name. However, it will add to the administrative and legal steps you will need to complete in the already complex divorce process. Having a highly experienced divorce attorney handling your case will help ensure the divorce process goes as smoothly and efficiently as possible.

Should You Change Your Name Back?

There are many factors to consider when deciding whether to go through the name change process following a divorce. If you have children with your former spouse, you should decide whether you want to keep the same last name as your children, since their legal names will not change in most circumstances. Changing a name back can help some divorced individuals to regain their sense of identity apart from their dissolved marriage. However, once you return to your maiden name, it is a legal action that is very difficult to undo, so the decision must be considered carefully. A qualified lawyer can help you make the right decision for you.

Discuss Your Divorce Case With a Boca Raton Family Law Attorney

Ending a marriage is a complicated legal matter and there are often many issues that require attention. For people without legal training, the entire process may seem complicated and difficult to navigate. Fortunately, the assistance of an experienced Boca Raton divorce attorney can make your divorce go as smoothly as possible and help ensure that any contested issues are resolved as favorably as possible. To schedule a free consultation with Florida attorney Alan R. Burton, call our office today at 954-229-1660.

Client Reviews

Alan R. Burton is a good human being but truly a great lawyer. Alan R. Burton took my very weak case but with his dedication and smartness Alan R. Burton ended up winning it for me and most important Alan R. Burton won the case with 0% tolerance for lies and 100% for truth. I’m simply convinced with...

Amer A.

"Alan Burton represented me on a tough child support case. He was extremely professional, aggressive and ethical in the courtroom. He is very honest and knowledgeable. I would highly recommend him for any case, no questions asked. Thank you Mr. Burton for all of your help and support through this...

Abigail A.

"As a single working mother of two young children, I totally appreciated Alan's flexibility to E mail and to converse by phone. There were times I could only respond or ask questions regarding my case well after 6 P.M. and Alan always made himself available to suit my schedule. Alan is a single dad...

Stephanie C.

"I give great pleasure in writing this review for Mr. Alan Burton. He was a tremendous help in resolving my foreign divorce/child custody case. Very competent, knowledgeable and always available; day and night. I am located in the Middle East and had a very complicated divorce/child custody case...

David A.

"As any devoted parent who loves their children, imagine the thought of your children being abducted by another parent. The feeling of not knowing if you will ever get them back, the anxiety of court proceedings, and a possible International custody battle. This is something I would never want any...

Stefan B.

Get in Touch

  1. 1 Free Consultation
  2. 2 40 Years of Experience
  3. 3 Speak Directly to an Attorney
Fill out the contact form or call us at (954) 229-1660 to schedule your free consultation.

Leave Us a Message