Child Custody – Parenting Plan – Timesharing

Alan R. Burton Attorney at Law

The current law in Florida provides that a parent cannot relocate or change the location of their principal residence if that change of residence will be more than 50 miles from their current residence.  If a spouse is considering a move that is more than 50 miles away, they must obtain either the written consent of the other spouse, or seek approval from the court.  The relocation provisions of Florida law are found in Florida Statute 61.13001.

In the absence of a statutory or contractual provision to the contrary, the proper method to measure the distance between 2 points is the straight line or quote as the crow flies” measure. If the distance using the straight-line test measurement is less than 50 miles, a move can be made by one parent without consent from the other parent or approval from the court. This would be true even if the move is 49 miles away.

However, simply because a move is less than 50 miles away, does not mean that other aspects of a parenting plan would be effected.  A move 49 miles away would most definitely effect the school boundaries, and therefore the school that the minor child would attend.  Does this mean that the moving or relocating parent has a right to change schools without obtaining the other parent’s consent?

The answer to this question is usually no.  Once parents enter into a parenting plan, they generally provide for shared parental responsibility on all major decisions effecting the welfare of their children.  Educational matters are considered major decisions.  Therefore, if a move will trigger the enrollment of the minor child in a different school, a discussion must be held with the other parent, and the consent of the other parent to change schools must be obtained prior to removing the child from his or her existing school.  In the event the other parent will not consent, the matter must be brought before the court for a determination as to the best interests of the child.

A discussion of these issues, which involve the interrelationship between these principles, can be found in the case of Dickson v. Dickson, 169 So. 3rd 287 (Florida 5th DCA 2015).

The Florida Supreme Court has approved a form for a Parenting Plan (Form 12.995(a) to be used in a divorce case or paternity case. Caution should be exercised when completing this form.  Although the form contains many multiple-choice type selections, the parenting plan can also include, and should include, specific matters that are unique to your own particular family situation.  An experienced divorce attorney in Boca Raton and Fort Lauderdale should always be consulted with prior to executing any parenting plans or other legal documents which will substantially affect the welfare of your minor children.  Attorney Alan R. Burton, a seasoned and experienced divorce attorney who deals with parenting plans and all other child related issues on a daily basis is ready to assist you now.  Call 954-295-9222 to speak with Mr. Burton today.

Client Reviews

Alan R. Burton is a good human being but truly a great lawyer. Alan R. Burton took my very weak case but with his dedication and smartness Alan R. Burton ended up winning it for me and most important Alan R. Burton won the case with 0% tolerance for lies and 100% for truth. I’m simply convinced with...

Amer A.

"Alan Burton represented me on a tough child support case. He was extremely professional, aggressive and ethical in the courtroom. He is very honest and knowledgeable. I would highly recommend him for any case, no questions asked. Thank you Mr. Burton for all of your help and support through this...

Abigail A.

"As a single working mother of two young children, I totally appreciated Alan's flexibility to E mail and to converse by phone. There were times I could only respond or ask questions regarding my case well after 6 P.M. and Alan always made himself available to suit my schedule. Alan is a single dad...

Stephanie C.

"I give great pleasure in writing this review for Mr. Alan Burton. He was a tremendous help in resolving my foreign divorce/child custody case. Very competent, knowledgeable and always available; day and night. I am located in the Middle East and had a very complicated divorce/child custody case...

David A.

"As any devoted parent who loves their children, imagine the thought of your children being abducted by another parent. The feeling of not knowing if you will ever get them back, the anxiety of court proceedings, and a possible International custody battle. This is something I would never want any...

Stefan B.

Get in Touch

  1. 1 Free Consultation
  2. 2 40 Years of Experience
  3. 3 Speak Directly to an Attorney
Fill out the contact form or call us at (954) 229-1660 to schedule your free consultation.

Leave Us a Message